The US will report its latest employment results this week as well as the second GDP estimate. Meanwhile, groups like Bunzl and The Restaraunt Group release their accounts for the quarter.
Fund Strategy looks at some key events shaping the week and what to expect.
Tuesday 29 August
• Bunzl (Q2 results)
The Share Centre investment research analyst Graham Spooner says: “Distribution and outsourcing group Bunzl has a strong market position. It has been expanding its global presence in recent times which has helped it to continue its steady progress despite difficult market conditions.
“The company is seen as defensive but has a good track record with acquisitions and it made a further three in Canada and Spain in the first half. Furthermore, in July it bought a group of cleaning and hygiene companies in France. The group is also targeting future growth in places such as Turkey and Northern Europe.”
Wednesday 30 August
• US Gross Domestic Product, Q2 2017 (Second) – Bureau of Economic Analysis
• EU Unemployment, July – Eurostat
• Flash estimate of euro area inflation, August – Eurostat
• James Fisher (interim results)
Thursday 31 August
• Restaurant Group (interim results)
Spooner says: “The company has been restructuring its business model and investors will be looking for further signs that declining sales have stabilised, especially at Frankie & Benny’s.
“Management have warned that changes made in the strategic review will take time to show effect. Investors will be wary of rising inflation and consumer sentiment on the group.”
• Melrose Industries (Q2 results)
Friday 1 September
• Purchasing Managers Index tracking manufacturing, August – Markit/Chartered Institute of Procurement Supply
• US Employment Situation, August 2017 – Bureau of Labor Statistics