Monday 14 August
- Standard Life Aberdeen merger due to complete
The deal, which received FCA approval last month, will create the UK’s largest asset manager with AUM set to total around £660bn.
Tuesday 15 August
- Hargreaves Lansdown results (Q4)
The firm, which is a favourite of fund manager Nick Train, announced last week it had decided not to pay a special dividend this year after the FCA said it would be reviewing the firm’s capital requirements. Shares dropped 6 per cent on the update.
- UK consumer price inflation, July
Last month UK inflation surprised on the down side, falling to 2.6 per cent in June. “The falls in sterling seen since the UK election are not likely to show in the inflation data until next year, when we may see a further rise, albeit a modest one,” says Share Centre’s Graham Spooner.
Wednesday 16 August
- Flash estimate of EU and euro area GDP, Q2 – Eurostat
- Federal Open Market Committee minutes of meeting held 25-26 July – Fed
Thursday 17 August
- Retail sales in Great Britain, July
“With real wages now falling rapidly, it is a challenging time for retail,” says Spooner. “However, more recent data from the BRC and CBI for July was more promising, with the BRC reporting a 0.9 per cent rise in retail sales in July, above the average for the first half of the year.”
Friday 18 August